SMART Girls Club Facilitator
Why are facilitators important?
Role models are vital to sparking a girl's interest in science and technology careers. Girls need role models to inspire them to dream big. Do you remember the people in your life who inspired you to follow your dream? Sometimes that inspiration comes from a short conversation with a caring adult. Specifically, facilitators:
- Dispell stereotypes about science and technology careers
- Illuminate the real world application of careers
- Increase the number of career options girls are considering
Would you like to be a SMART Girls Club Facilitator?
YWCA Lincoln seeks volunteer SMART Girls Club facilitators, who help girls, in 4th through 8th grades, explore science, technology, engineering, and math fields in a supportive environment. Facilitators and girls work together to establish a relationship-centered learning community. Girls collaboratively explore hands-on, open-ended projects and investigations.
Here's what we ask:
1) Attend a three hour volunteer orientation and training. 2) Commit to helping facilitate SMART Girls Clubs once a week for a semester or a year. 3) Be 15 minutes early to club meetings, prepare to help lead activities by reading lesson plans, and take attendance. 4) Document indications that girls are meeting the outcomes discussed in training. 5) Share any concerns, ideas, and suggestions with YWCA Lincoln staff. 6) Be enthusiastic, positive, and excited to work with youth!
Here's what you can expect from YWCA Lincoln:
1) Volunteer training focusing on the following topics: a. Building a relationship-centered learning community b. Energizers and icebreakers c. Proven strategies for engaging girls in science 2) A guide to all planned activities. 3) Club supplies will be prepared in advance for pick up or will be delivered to the school.
Please complete the entire form and we will get back with you as soon as possible.