Are you a parent, grandparent, foster parent, or guardian? When was the last time you had some time to yourself? Do you have days when you are tired, over-stressed and need relief? Then Take a Break is the solution for you!
Take a Break offers a break to any parent or guardian of children six weeks through 10 years of age. (If you have children older than 10 that have special needs or have younger siblings, please talk with the program director as exceptions are made.) The program facilitates opportunities for caregivers to recharge while their children are cared for in a safe, fun, and nurturing environment.
All families are required to fill out a Client Intake Form so that we have current information on each child. You can download this form below and fill it out before attending the TAB session.
Respite childcare is provided on scheduled Friday evenings from 6:00pm-8:00pm. The program is located at Grace Lutheran Church, 2225 Washington Street, Lincoln, NE.
Take a Break sessions schedule for 2016. Subject to change.
September 2 & 9
October 7 & 14
November 4 & 11
December 2 & 9
Families of all incomes qualify for the Take A Break program. Our program has a sliding fee scale and this amount varies by income and family size.
Take a Break has experienced staff and volunteers who are CPR and First Aid certified and trained to work with children with behavior disorders and disabilities. Children enjoy crafts, games, and gym time. Guest speakers are often part of the evening and share special skills or career information.
Registration is open from Monday 9 am until Thursday 4:30 pm the week of the TAB Session.
If you would like to register or learn more about the program please contact Mary Shada, Take a Break Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 402-434-3494 ext 103.
Position: TAKE A BREAK (TAB) Group Leader
Responsible To: TAB Coordinator
Location: Grace Lutheran Church, 2225 Washington, Lincoln, Ne
Hours: First two Friday evenings of each month
Pay: $9/hour 6-8 hours per month
Summary: Responsible for facilitating recreation and educational activities to ensure a safe and fun experience for assigned groups of children at the Take a Break Program. Take A Break (TAB) is a respite and child abuse prevention program that meets the first two Friday evenings of each month. TAB serves families in stressful situations by providing relief from the ongoing responsibilities of caring for loved ones with behavioral, medical or physical challenges. Respite services are offered to parents, other relatives, foster parents, adoptive parents, or guardians of children who, due to their children’s challenges, experience higher levels of parenting stress that can lead to abuse and/or neglect.
· Ensure program activities are completed.
· Communicate positively with parents/guardians and with other staff and volunteers. Communicate with families about their children’s progress and strengths.
· Assist in keeping environment in the rooms tidy, clean and equipped with supplies. Help with set-up and cleanup.
· Assist in ensuring the safety of children by providing appropriate supervision.
· Maintain professional attitude and loyalty to the program at all times, maintaining highest standard of confidentiality.
· Report to the TAB Coordinator any concerns or observations that may need to be reported.
· Maintain and keep organized the equipment and supplies. Inform TAB Coordinator of needed supplies and equipment.
· Attend trainings and participate in meetings as scheduled by TAB Coordinator.
· Have no more than 2 absences per calendar year. (Special circumstances will be take under consideration by the TAB Coordinator.
· Assist with planning and implementation of TAB curriculum/activities.
· Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
High school graduation or equivalency is required. Postsecondary education or experience in child development or childcare is strongly preferred. Ability to work well with people and has a strong desire to work with children. Successful applicants must demonstrate dependability, mature judgment, flexibility and confidence in making decisions. 19 years of age. Must be able to pass a background check.
Please send application including three references to Mary Shada at email@example.com